No matter where they live in the world, girls are bright, talented and full of dreams; but many girls in developing countries cannot fulfill their dreams…
Girl Up is an innovative campaign of the United Nations Foundation addressing the needs of adolescent girls in developing countries. Our “for girls, by girls” model mobilizes American girls to raise awareness and funds for United Nations programs that help some of the world’s hardest-to-reach adolescent girls. Girl Up Clubs and Teen Advisors here in the United States mobilize and advocate for girls [Girl Up Logo] in Malawi, Ethiopia, Liberia, and Guatemala to have opportunities to become educated, healthy, safe, counted, and positioned to be the next generation of leaders.
There are more than 600 million adolescent girls living in developing countries today. Unfortunately, many do not have the opportunity to see a doctor, go to school, or even be included in their communities. This has serious consequences including being forced into child marriage and facing health risks from pregnancy and early childbirth. Girls between the ages of 10 and 14 are five times more likely to die in pregnancy or childbirth than women aged 20 to 24, and the vast majority of these pregnancies are tied to early marriages.
Girl Up believes that American girls are a part of the solution. This generation of girls cares about global issues and is concerned about the challenges facing their sisters around the world. With their help and yours, Girl Up funds United Nations programs that support girls around the world, provides resources to help more girls enter and stay in school, provides health services, and provides access to closer clean drinking water wells.
Three easy ways to get involved with the campaign:
• Start a Girl Up Club and take action by organizing awareness, fundraising and advocacy activities in your local community. Click here for more information on Girl Up Clubs.
• Give a High Five - a donation of $5 or more can help girls in developing nations become educated, healthy, safe, counted, and positioned to be the next generation of leaders. Click here to donate now.
• Spread the word about how to help adolescent girls by posting one of these messages on your Facebook:
- What if you didn’t know when your birthday was? What if your government didn’t know you existed? What if you weren’t counted at all? This is a reality for millions of girls around the world. Here’s how you can take action with @Girl Up: GirlUp.org/GirlsCount
- When you unleash the power of girls, they will change the world! Check out @GirlUp to see how you can make a difference in the lives of girls in developing countries. Visit www.GirlUp.org to learn more.
- Did you know that girls make up 75% of the out-of-school youth in the world? Do something about it and join @GirlUphttp://ow.ly/1OiWt.
- What if your government didn't know you existed? Millions of girls around the world are never counted. Take action at GirlUp.org/GirlsCount